Molecular archaeology and Indo-European linguistics: Impressions from new data

Archaeological and historical research on cultures with potential links to Indo-European peoples.
cquiles

Molecular archaeology and Indo-European linguistics: Impressions from new data

Post by cquiles » Wed May 10, 2017 7:52 pm

David Anthony and his wife Dorcas Brown have published a (pre-print) paper summarizing how aDNA affects archaeological interpretations: https://www.academia.edu/32927784/Molec ... m_new_data

I think this is a good summary of how mainstream geneticists and archaeologists might be interpreting the most popular Admixture analyses published to date: Yamna->Corded Ware->Bell Beaker . Anthony now links the Yamna migrants west into Körös to the appearance of Corded Ware. He doesn't mention Usatovo (according to him a Pre-Germanic culture) or Dnieper (Pre-Balto-Slavi). What he previously identified as Pre-Italo-Celtic into Bell Beaker is now considered a migration into Corded Ware, and a later migration of Corded Ware into Bell Beaker is hinted... That would fit quite well with the mainstream linguistic model of a North-Western Indo-European-speaking community migrating into Europe, but I feel that the weakest (archaeological and genetic) link of this theory is how Yamna (mainly R1b) migrated to the eastern part of Corded Ware (mainly R1a) and then (from the Rhine?) into Bell Baker (mainly R1b)...

This seems to me an ad-hoc interpretation of archaeological finds, adapting and changing what he had said before (in his books and articles) to the most common interpretation of aDNA finds today.
Carlos Quiles - Academia Prisca